Traction Therapy from Unity Spine and Health (London, ON)
What is manual traction?
Manual traction is a gentle alternative to low back adjustments which allow lower back mobility without causing spine manipulation. It entails stretching the joints, muscles, and spine to relieve low back pain and sciatica-like symptoms down the legs. This is an excellent technique for people who have osteoarthritis, disc herniations or sciatica.
Traction is applied manually by your therapist at Unity Spine and Health using controlled force, and it gradually stretches the neck and back. Traction is rarely used on its own; it is, however, an important part of a comprehensive treatment plan for a variety of painful conditions.
Advantages of Unity Spine and Health traction therapy
1. Relieving pain. Applied force aids in the controlled straightening of the spine, relieving the pressure that can cause pain. It provides a more conducive physical environment for the healing process.
2. Treatment for a variety of conditions. Traction therapy is a treatment option for various medical conditions including herniated discs, spinal stenosis and spinal arthritis.
3. No invasive surgery is required. Treatment does not necessitate invasive surgery but instead involves applying controlled force to the patient's spine. Patients simply lie on a table while a therapist or machine exerts a force on them. Clothing is occasionally repositioned but never removed.
4. It can be combined with other treatments. Traction therapy can be used with other treatments in order to create a more personalized and comprehensive health plan. Electric stimulation, cold or hot therapy, and ultrasound application are some of the supplementary therapies which may be included (during or after the session).
5. Aids in overall healing. When pressure is correctly applied to the disc, healing nutrients are released, speeding up the body's natural healing process. Traction therapy also improves the efficacy of other treatments, resulting in a quicker overall recovery.
Traction alleviates pain and relieves pressure on the spine. Cervical traction and lumbar traction are similar, but there are a few key differences. With cervical traction, a gentle force is used to stretch or pull the head away from the neck; with lumbar traction, a strong force is used to stretch or pull the head away from the neck. A gentle force is used to gently separate the pelvis from the lower back during lumbar traction. Both of these techniques are effective for manipulating the spine and providing relief.
How does traction work?
Traction is a pulling force used to stretch soft tissues and separate joint surfaces or bone fragments. The force applied must be of sufficient magnitude and duration in the proper direction, while resisting body movement with an equal and opposite force. This therapy benefits people with specific spinal conditions and is commonly used to treat:
Disease of degenerative discs
Stenosis of the foramina
A disc is a circular structure in the spine that sits between each vertebra. It has a tough outer layer that protects the soft inner tissue. The tough outer layer tears when a disc is pressed and damaged, and the soft interior then protrudes through the gap. This protrusion causes pain by compressing nearby nerves. Traction causes the vertebra to pull away from the disc, relieving pressure on the disc. This allows the soft part of the disc to return to its original position within the disc. Ultimately, this relieves pain by decompressing the nerve. This also aids in rehydration of the disc.
Unity Spine and Health provides effective treatment and total wellness for your body, mind and spirit. Visit us online or call today at (226) 223-2437 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Ali Atoof and Dr. Monica Ngo are the chiropractors at Unity Spine & Health.
Ali and Monica both enjoy caring for families and treat a wide range of conditions. Each treatment is tailored to your specific need. Our passion is to assist you by enhancing your body's natural ability to heal physically.
Through a variety of chiropractic techniques, Ali and Monica hope to restore balance to your body. We use gentle methods on children, the elderly, and those who prefer or require milder techniques.
Balanced Chiropractic Treatment Benefits
Natural Pain Relief. Get Relief From Back, Neck, and Hip Pain. Improvements in posture.
It improved nervous system performance. Chiropractic care improves nervous system function by adjusting the spine.
Increased mobility. Increase joint mobility, functionality, and health.
It improved spinal flexibility and posture. Chiropractic care can help to alleviate the problems caused by poor posture.
Injury avoidance. Chiropractic care for athletic performance and injury prevention.
It increases athletic performance. Chiropractic adjustments assist in ensuring that the body operates as efficiently as possible.